There are so many different types of apparel to choose among, and the options have only grown more varied throughout history. There are clothing choices for every occasion and style preference, as well as choices tied strongly to culture. Find out about the many different types and styles of attire, including historical fashions and modern selections.
Many Fashion Options
Clothing styles are as varied as there are people and purposes.
- Professional attire: Discover the background of workplace apparel options, including business suits and casual business dress.
- Formal occasions: Find out about the evolution of formal wear, from glamorous women’s cocktail dresses and ball gowns to men’s tuxedos.
- Trendy styles: Get information on fashion trends, ranging from street style to punk looks, as well as other popular teenage fashions.
- Clothing for Travel: Learn about choosing appropriate clothing for travel, such as Hawaiian shirts for beachwear and ski clothing for the slopes.
- Undergarments: Discover information about various types of lingerie, including underwear.
- Exercise wear: Learn about different types of workout wear, from leotards and sweatshirts to sport shoes and sneakers.
- Sports: Discover apparel designed for specific sporting activities, such as bicycle clothing and golf wear.
- Safety Apparel: Get information about the types and uses of protective clothing for situations ranging from workplace safety to sports safety.
What people choose to wear can be influenced by many factors, from the impact of music on hip-hop fashion, the grunge look and hippie attire to the status of academic dress in higher education. Other influences include religious observation, as evidenced by the burqa and cultural identity, as seen in traditional African American dress and Afrocentric fashion.
Contributed by Charlotte Clark