Secret of finding the perfect foundation series
Choosing the perfect foundation is the dream of every girl. We all want our foundation shade to match but we can’t deny the fact that finding the perfect shade can be daunting. We all been there, we all have picked up the wrong foundation shade and then it goes into our special foundation graveyard drawer. Finding the correct foundation shade, texture and coverage can be tricky but with little extra time on your hand and patience can help you in long term. Today I want to share few of my tricks and tips to find the perfect shade of foundation.
Part 1: Knowing your skin type
First thing is first we need to access our skin tone and type. I know now you will be like how do I do that! Well, I’m here to help. Skin is generally of few types Oily, Dry, Normal, Combination and Sensitive. There are different foundations for different skin types. Skin types change with seasons, age etc so keep yourself updated on that. Here’s what you do to check your skin type:
- Wash your face and wait for an hour or so.
- Now look in the mirror and analyse your skin. Give attention to how you feel about your skin-
- Does it look oily all over? Do you have large visible pores? Do you face the problem of frequent acne? If all your answers are yes, then your skin is oily.
- If your skin feels stretched, sensitive, rough and have less visible pores or may not have them at all, then you might have dry skin. People with dry skin tend to get wrinkles earlier than people with other skin types.
- If your skin doesn’t feel dry or oily, less visible pores, the skin doesn’t feel stretchy and you may just experience a little shine on the t-zone then you might be normal skin type and you are blessed.
- If you have an oily t-zone (centre of forehead, nose and chin area), feels dry on the outer parts of the face then you might have a combination skin.
- Lastly sensitive skin type: If the skin feels stretchy, dry, red and burns when you apply moisturiser after washing your face and waiting for an hour or so then you might have a sensitive skin. People with this skin type should be careful with the products they use. They should try to use mild cleansers and moisturisers specially made for sensitive skin type.
Now skin changes with time, season, stress, smoking, shisha, hormonal changes, diet, sun exposure etc. A person who is young might have a normal skin but with age, the skin might change into dry or oily and thus the skin care and the makeup products should be changed accordingly. I would suggest doing this skin analysing exercise every few months so that you can take better care of your skin.
After determining your skin type it will be easy for you to now search products that will help your skin look more beautiful and radiant without getting too oily or dry. This article was the first in my foundation series because for good makeup you need a good skin. It is not necessary to get the good skin right away and believe me we all are working towards it but understanding the basic skin type will put you on the right path of better skin and better makeup application. Will post the next step on foundation series soon.
Article by Fazila Sadiq
Edited by Humera Chowdhry