Recipe of Samosa
- 10 to 12 Samosas
Pockets of dough stuffed with a potato mixture, deep fried. An all favourite tea time snack!
- 500 gm potatoes – boiled, peeled and chopped
For the dough:
- 500 gm maida (refined flour)
- 1/2 cup ghee or oil
- 5 gm ajwain
- Oil for deep frying the samosas
- 1/2 cup ghee
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 2-3 green chillies
- 2 tsp ginger
- 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp coriander leaves
- 1/3 cup green peas
- 2 tsp chaat masala powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 Tbsp chopped cashew nuts
How to Make Desi Samosa
- Chop the green chillies, ginger and the coriander leaves.
- Mix all the ingredients for the dough except water and rub thoroughly.
- Sprinkle water and make a hard dough. Set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into round portions as per the size of the samosas required.
- Heat the ghee and add cumin, when crackling add ginger and saute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients excluding the final four and sauté for five minutes.
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients, including the potatoes and mix well.
- Roll each portion of dough into a thin oval shape cut into 2 semi-circles.
- Take a semi-circle. Apply water on the straight edge of the semi-circle. Hold the semi-circle in your hand, fold the straight edge, bringing together the watered edges, seal the watered edges into a triangular pocket.
- Stuff the potato mixture and then seal the upper edges.
- Repeat with the rest.
- Deep fry in oil till golden brown and serve.
Key Ingredients: potatoes, flour, clarified butter, vegetable oil, carom seeds, salt, cumin seeds, turmeric, red chilli, green chillies, lemon ginger, coriander leaves, green peas, fennel, garam masala, cashew nuts, ginger, lemon
Please don’t hesitate to ask me for your queries.
Article by Humera Chowdhry
sources: http://food.ndtv.com-recipe http://panjabi.khana.com/