The most surprising tips from Hollywood’s ultimate icon
Mini Bio About Marilyn
Date of Birth 1 June 1926, Los Angeles, California, USA
Date of Death 5 August 1962, Los Angeles, California, USA (drug overdose)
Birth Name Norma Jeane Mortenson
Nicknames The Blonde Bombshell
Arthur Miller(29 June 1956 – 20 January 1961) (divorced)
Joe DiMaggio(14 January 1954 – 31 October 1955) (divorced)
James Dougherty(19 June 1942 – 13 September 1946) (divorced)
Marilyn Monroe was born Norma Jeane Mortenson at the Los Angeles County Hospital on June 1, 1926. Her mother Gladys Pearl Baker was a film-cutter at Consolidated Film Industries. Marilyn’s father’s identity was never known. Because Gladys was mentally and financially unable to care for young Marilyn, Gladys placed her in the care of a foster family, The Bolenders. Although the Bolender family wanted to adopt Marilyn, Gladys was eventually able to stabilise her lifestyle and took Marilyn back in her care when Marilyn was 7 years old. However, shortly after regaining custody of Marilyn, Gladys had a complete mental breakdown and was diagnosed as a paranoid schizophrenic and was committed to a state mental hospital. Gladys spent the rest of her life going in and out of hospitals and did not have contact with Marilyn ever again. Gladys outlived her daughter, dying in 1984.
HER BEAUTY SECRETS
- Marilyn Monroe famously claimed she slept in nothing but Chanel No. 5. You might prefer to wear your perfume fully dressed and out in public, but choose one product as your go-to fragrance. Once you embrace your scent, you’ll feel confident and put-together every time you spritz it on.
- She used five different lipsticks and glosses to create her pouty look. Darker reds went on the outsides of her lips, lighter ones on the inside, and highlighting products on the top and bottom. Experiment with layering a couple different colors to add dimension to your lips, or create your own signature color by combining lipsticks you already have. Avoid these makeup mistakes that make you look old.
- She wasn’t always a blonde bombshell—she was born a brunette. She dyed her hair golden blonde when a modelling agency told her it would make her more successful. From then on, she fully embraced it, going lighter and lighter until settling on her signature “pillow case white” dye job. Don’t let someone else tell you what to do with your hair, but if you’ve been dying (no pun intended) to try a bold new color or style, go for it. You could end up with a huge surge of confidence. Learn how to get an instant confidence boost here.
- She started her mornings with a chest workout routine, she told Pageant. Working out as soon as you get up makes you more likely to go through with your exercise session because if you wait until after work, you might be tempted to veg on out and watch Netflix instead. Take Marilyn’s lead and find a weight routine you can do from your bedroom so you’re less likely to snooze through it.
- Marilyn Monroe had a heavy peach fuzz “beard” but refused to wax it off, according to Monroe expert Gene London. She said the fuzz gave her face a soft blue in photos, without using special lenses. Instead of seeing your features as imperfections, learn to see the beauty in their uniqueness. Here’s how to stop negative self-talk.
- Winged eyeliner sounds intimidating, but Marilyn Monroe’s cat-eye was often more sultry and smudged than the sharp, defined cat eye you might usually attempt. Use a heavy hand when lining the tops of your lids, then soften up the look for the wings. Use an angled brush to lightly flick out black eyeshadow that can blend seamlessly into the rest of your eye makeup. These bad habits make your makeup look sloppy.
Author MARISSA LALIBERTE